LETTER TO AN UNKNOWN SOLDIER is an artwork created by Neil Bartlett and Kate Pullinger.
Neil Bartlett is a novelist and theatre-director. His 2007 novel Skin Lane was shortlisted for the Costa Novel Award, and his new novel, The Disappearance Boy, is being published by Bloomsbury in July 2014. He has two honorary degrees (from Oxford Brookes and Brighton), bestowed in recognition of his pioneering and continued commitment to gay culture and civil rights, and was awarded an OBE in 2000 for his work as Artistic Director of the Lyric Hammersmith. You can find out more about Neil and his work at neil-bartlett.com
Kate Pullinger is a novelist and digital writer. Her 2009 novel The Mistress of Nothing won Canada’s Governor General’s Award for Fiction; her new novel, Landing Gear, is published in April 2014. She has been at the forefront of literary digital innovation and participatory media for more than a decade; her on-going web projects, Inanimate Alice and Flight Paths: a Networked Novel, have gathered readers from around the world. She is Professor of Creative Writing and Digital Media at Bath Spa University. Find her at katepullinger.com
Commissioned by 14-18 NOW; produced in association with Free Word
Free Word is an international centre for literature, literacy and free expression. Free Word develops local, national and international collaborations that explore the transformative power of words. freewordcentre.com
- Angela McSherry – Producer
- Roxanne Peak-Payne – Assistant Producer
- Anna Vinegrad – Press/PR
- Nicky Webb – Communications Consultant
- You, Me + Everyone – Design/Build Website - Phase 1 + 2
- effect – Website Development - Phase 3
- The Unloved – Website Design - Phase 3
- Alessandra Grignaschi – Press/PR Assistant
- Dave Watson – Social Media
- Dom Agius – Photographs of the Unknown Soldier
- Polly Steel – Films
- Daniel Goddard – Film Editing
- Timothy X Atack – Sound
- Annie Rushton – Graphic Design
- Project Champions:
- Kathleen Hamilton, Katie Stuart, Lisa Heledd Jones, Liz Milner, Mab Jones, Nell Andrews, Ruth Harrison, Verbal Arts Centre in Derry.
- Editorial Moderators:
- Allic Rennie, Alyssa Hollingsworth, Chelsea Asher, Lily Kerfoot, Rosie Maynard, Rosie Tobutt, Sean Spain, Tim Parry
- With special thanks to:
- All of the teams at 1418NOW, Bath Spa University, British Library, Free Word, Network Rail and The Cogency.
- Cat Stroud, Hester Cant, Martin Poile, Matthew Andrews, Nell Yates, Sophie Collard and Quarantine Productions.
- All of our invited writers.